Conservation Technician, CLA
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Conservation Technician, CLA
Job Profile Title
Assistant Museum Collections, University Museum
Job Description Summary
The Conservation Technician, working part-time, will be responsible for assisting the Conservator(s) in conservation work to prepare artifacts in the collection, for exhibition at the Penn Museum. This work will be carried out at the Museum's off-site Conservation Lab Annex (CLA). Primary duties include assisting the Conservator with handling artifacts, help with treatments; keeping written, photographic, and electronic records of work; and keeping current with developments in the field through readings, conferences, online discussions, and personal contacts; and assisting with lab maintenance. The successful candidate must be available to work at the off-site location, which is not accessible by public transit. Occasional research work; administrative tasks, and additional tasks as assigned.
Job Title: CLA Conservation Technician
Supervisor's Title: Senior Project Conservator
Compensation: $21 p/hour
Non-Exempt, Part-time, One Year term position
PRINCIPAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES:
1. Assisting Conservator(s) with the movement of artifacts, using rigging equipment, and moving objects within the CLA facility.
2. Under the direction of the Conservator, carrying out conservation treatments such as stabilization, mending, cleaning, removal of old restoration materials, fabricating new elements.
3. Responsible for carrying out documentation including written, digital, and photographic modes.
4. Maintaining workspace in a clean and organized manner, cleaning equipment and space, assisting other conservators as needed.
5. Additional duties as assigned.
Minimum: BA/BS degree and 0-1 years experience required, or equivalent combination of both. An undergraduate degree in a related field is desirable but not required. This position is most suitable for a pre-program candidate; someone planning to take a graduate degree in conservation with experience working in a Museum conservation lab, particularly experience with documentation and basic treatments. Must be able to work in the offsite CLA, located in central New Jersey. Sound work habits, personal initiative, organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to undertake moderate to heavy lifting are essential. Object-handling experience is required; manual dexterity is required; Candidate will uphold collegial and collaborative working relationships with conservation staff and other departments.
**Please note that this position is a bargaining unit position represented by a labor union. Job related responsibilities, duties, qualifications, and compensation associated with this position are determined by a collective bargaining agreement.
Job Location - City, State
Feildsboro, New Jersey
Department / School
$17.98 - $21.00 Hourly Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Penn-Museum-Conservation-Lab-Annex-NJ/Conservation-Technician--CLA_JR00076041-1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency